Not Another Review Blog!: Anodyne Review

Monday, December 23, 2013

Anodyne Review

It was very cheap, so I decided to get it. A Whopping 3 dollars. I downloaded it, played it for awhile, and all through the game just one thought permeated my thoughts:


What is this game about? Introversion? Paranoid Schizophrenia? What? This game is so random! The characters are weird and even have a merchant you cannot buy anything from. You carry around a broom instead of a sword. You get boss battles with bosses that call you Ying instead of Young, and that you need to get along with people, and "I hope you enjoyed your stay!" The ending of game is... I know he is exploring a "dream world" according to Wikipedia, but... but...


The gameplay is a lot... and I mean a LOT like Zelda. I love it because all you need are 7 buttons. Left, right, up, down, A, B, and Pause. You only get a few upgrades to your weapon... a broom, and jumping shoes. You attack bats often, and goo's, so almost exactly like Zelda, just with no equipment, and a LOT of savepoints and teleporters.

You can use dust as a boat, but aside from that, the levels are all vastly unique. You go from regular to 8 bit graphics, a black and white city, an underworld, and the basic mountain and forest, etc. Many of the levels have annoying platforming in them, making them nearly impossible.

All of the enemies and bosses are simple, and you scarcely need to dodge for the boss fights. You lost most of your health from the annoying platform jumps and boobytraps. This game only takes about 5 hours, and that is if you die often and get lost. But it only took them about 8 months to make this game, so I shouldn't expect much longer. Even if it is short

I would recommend this game, simply because it IS fun to play. You'll be confused as fuck, but it is fun as fuck if you enjoy Zelda-esque games.

2 comments:

  1. Intriguing, maybe I will give it a try after I finish Skyward Sword. Good review though.

    -James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks ^_^ I hope you find it as fun as I did.

      Delete