Not Another Review Blog!: Minecraft Review

Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Minecraft Review

Blurring the world
I enjoy this game from time to time. Unlike the numerous people on YouTube, like this person who created the Beetlejuice roller coaster, I simply played this game casually. I build houses, and I never use the multiplayer function, or at least not yet. But I have seen it played as multiplayer so often that I can review it based on that (My little brothers, older brother, half of my friends, and my boyfriend, are all fans of the game).

I love to build large houses , enourmously large houses that really have no reason despite the fact that I was bored. If I can become self sustaining, I will. My last world I played in, I had a wheat farm, in which I can make bread so I didn't die. It was like Farmville, just with more explosions. I learn new things about the game every time I play it. Such as the need for torches in your house so creepers don't appear right behind you.

That's basically the whole game. Mining, and Crafting. You mine the materials you need, and craft the items you desire, like pickaxes and swords. The better the materials used, the better the item that gets created. But all items have a certain amount of uses before they break. And so far, from weakest to strongest, there is wood, stone, iron, diamond, and gold. How diamond armor works, I haven't a damn clue...

Look at that lively expression
There are two modes you can play on as well, Creative, and Survival. Creative allows you to create large scale and fantastical structures without the fear of monsters. Also, you can levitate, which is awesome! Survival is where you are set out in the middle of nowhere and have to use the resources at hand to build a building for protection before the sun sets. Once the sun sets, you're screwed. Spiders, Endermen, Zombies, Creepers, you name it! And when you die, you lose it all!

Now personally, I can understand why the game is popular to a sense. You start out with nothing, and then gradually earn all you need to survive until you have everything. That's life, and it's a story arch that many people adore. In fact, I am even using it for one of my upcoming books! But to say that this game is over-rated would be an understatement. All one has to do is visit YouTube to see the various Minecraft parodies, originals, and song rip-offs. The amount of Minecraft fan-art is staggering as well, and it baffles me as to why.

This game has no good graphics, it's all just blocks. It has no storyline, no plot, no real ending (not including the one they made for it after the fact), and no payoff. Although I believe the game is fun, and enjoyable, I honestly don't believe it deserves the reputation at has. It's easy to bore of this game, and it reminds me so much of games like Farmville mixed with a sense of danger.

But that is just me, what do you think? Tell me in the comments below!

No comments:

Post a Comment